This position leads and oversees the Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API) procurement for the Purchasing Department, and has the responsibility to ensure supplier sourcing, competitive bidding, and price negotiations are conducted in a fair and professional manner, without conflict of interest, while ensuring on-time delivery of quality goods at the best price. This role requires travel.
The Senior Buyer, API reports directly to the Purchasing Manager, Supply Chain. This position is a member of the Global Sourcing working group.
Primary responsibilities of this role include the following:
1. System Oversight
- Source API’s, Raw Materials and Packaging Components.
- Comply with all department and company procedures.
- Manages material pricing with material vendors.
- Provide effective department services to all levels of the organization.
- Coordinates change control process with vendor and NPI QA Standards.
- Creates material master data, contract/source list initiation and provide supplier pricing to Finance for updates in SAP.
- Conduit between material vendors and NPI QA Standards for new and revised specifications.
- Conduit between material vendors and NPI QA Standards for vendor complaints.
- Inventory and Cost Management
- Manages procurement of excess inventory to minimize carrying costs through effective safety stock levels.
- Prepare, manage and maintain supplier contacts for API purchases.
- Review and negotiate supplier pricing, terms, lead times and economic order quantities.
- SAP Requirements
a. Maintain supplier master data.
b. Create API purchase orders and expedite as required.
c. Execute Open Order Report and follow-up with suppliers to ensure on time deliveries.
d. Perform purchase order change order process as required.
e. Monitor and resolve blocked invoices in coordination with Finance.
f. Provide back-up for purchasing Raw Materials and Packaging Components.
a. Cost savings tracking and reporting.
b. Provide API, Raw Material and Packaging Component Suppliers forecasts as required.
Education: BS/BA in Business or Supply Chain or work related experience.
Experience: 5+ years of business or work related experience, preferably in a Pharmaceutical Procurement role.
- The individual must have experience withSAP/MRP or equivalent and have experience with Microsoft Office.
- Individual must take ownership and demonstrate flexibility by being able to lead people and processes, work independently or in a team environment, prioritize responsibilities and manage multiple tasks.
- This position requires working effectively with others and good communication skills (both verbal and written), in order to support internal purchasing requests and work effectively with external suppliers to negotiate best price and ensure accurate and on-time deliveries.
- The individual must have experience negotiating.
- An individual with a Purchasing Certification is preferred.
GMP DECISION-MAKING AUTHORITY
- Review and comply with SOPs, Safe Practices and Safety Training documents.
- Analyze API requirements and provide recommendations to the Logistics Managers regarding MOQ/EOQ quantities.